Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Business of Being Born

Wow. I just finished watching "The Business of Being Born." The description reads, "Director Abby Epstein's controversial documentary takes a hard look at America's maternity care system, juxtaposing hospital deliveries against the growing popularity of at-home, natural childbirths that some expectant parents are opting for."

Not having yet had the privilege of being pregnant, I had often wondered which way I would choose, hospital with drugs or at home where I would be comfortable. I had gone back in forth in my head a thousand times and I just always figured there would be no way I would be strong enough to do it without drugs. However, I decided to play this documentary, more in the background then actually watching it as I planned to do some more dress searching. I got totally caught up in it. The computer was set aside and I watched, completely enraptured by what I was seeing and learning. These are just a few of the statistics I learned about:
-The United State has the second worst newborn death rate in the developed world.
-Since 1996 the Cesarean section rate in the U.S. has risen 46%. In 2005, it was one out of every three births. 
-The drugs used in hospital births can cause more problems than they solve.
-The use of drugs during birth and Cesarean sections dulls the or even overpowers the oxytocin, the "love chemical" which causes intense bonding between mother and child. 
I want to point out that the last comment does not mean that mothers who had their children in either of those mentioned method do not bond with their child. It is specifically referring to the moment right after birth when the oxytocin in both baby and mother are so high that it is literally like being in an altered state of mind, where mom and baby are the only things that exist. That is a bonding that is proven to only happen after natural childbirth.


I certainly do not want to rob myself of that moment. I know it might be hard, but the births shown in the video were not like what I normally see. The video for the hospital shows and such always show the mom in one of two states, either completely delirious or screaming in pain. That was what made me want to do it in a hospital. The thought of the pain scared me. If it was going to hurt that bad, I wanted to be drugged. But the home births were nothing like that. The women did have pain, but they were allowed to be up, walking around, have soft music playing, take a bath. Believe it or not, these are all things that make birthing easier and can dull the pain of contractions.


My friend who wants to get into midwifery has always told me that home births were better for mom and baby. I believed her. I just didn't think I could do it. Now I know I can. When I get pregnant, I will be having a midwife and when my baby is born I will have that moment.


There will be nothing to top it in my Sevier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment